Genevieve Nnaji is arguably one of Nollywood’s biggest actresses. The star popped up during the media unveil of Amstel Malta Showtime season 3 held during the week at the Nigerian Breweries in Lagos. In this chat with TOSIN AJIRIRE, Genevieve opens up on the challenges of being a brand ambassador and why her roles in Nolly­wood movies have greatly diminished.
Excerpts:
What have been your challanges as Amstel Malta brand ambassador?
Challenges? None so far; it’s been a smooth ride and we thank God. I am work­ing with very competent people and agents, and Amstel has been very kind. It’s been a blessing; it’s been quite an experience.

You have other brands, why the choice of Amstel?
Well, as a person, I chose Amstel a long time ago because I love drinking Amstel. But as a brand ambassador, Amstel chose me.
How would you compare this brand with other brands you represnt?
Amstel is not just a drink, it is also a health drink. Beyond that it is also a very successful brand and something I con­sume as well. So it is not like I am being introduced to something new and fresh, I am settling in. It has been the same with every other brand. I am a customer of every brand I have represented.

Talking about being a brand am­bassador, a lot of your colleagues are ambassadors of a particular telecommunications brand. Why are you not?
You have to mention names because I don’t know.

Okay, like Globacom?
Yes, I am for Etisalat.

The talk around town was that Chief Mike Adenuga called you and you directed him to your manager. Is it true?
First of all, I have never spoken to Chief Mike Adenuga; It would be an honour to talk to him. I think people should speak to managers if they want to discuss business. I don’t believe that was the issue but let’s just assume it was, is there a problem in him speaking to management? Then it is obvious there is nothing to that story. I was approached, there were negotiations but it did not work out and that was all.

Did you rate yourself higher than others?
I didn’t rate anybody; I’m not anybody’s rate. I don’t believe so because I wasn’t told the rate of others. Maybe I would have compared.

What exactly do you look out for in settling for a par­ticular brand as an ambassador?
First of all, I need to appreciate the brand. I have to have some sort of appreciation and respect for the brand. I need to believe in the brand as a person to be able to successfully represent it without feeling forced. Apart from that, I am concerned about quality and  I also make sure the brand is consumer friendly. It is easy on the consumers because at the end of the day, I am a brand ambassador and a role model to so many people and whatever I do would affect them. So, I believe that whatever I represent should be friendly to my fol­lowers as well.

Your apperances in movies have greatly diminshed. Is it deliberate?
It is not deliberate. I read scripts almost every day. I have not just found anything worth my while.

Having done Half Of A Yellow Sun and Ije among others, is it that you have not seen scripts that are up to standard?
To be honest, I have done quite a num­ber of amazing movies in Nollywood that would give Ije a run for its money. So you can’t say it’s about bigger brands or foreign projects. It is just me looking for a script that is attractive. I know it’s entertainment for other people but it is a job to me. And it’s a job I love so much, a job I respect and the only time I have fun on the job is when I am on set. So I have to be comfortable and happy with the project I am working on.

Would it be correct to say that one of the things that keep you in your carreer is the mystery around you, your person­ality cult and all that?
I don’t know. I am just who I am. I do my work and mind my business and I leave my personal life aside.

Is that why you dont chill out, go out and let people see you? Most of the time, getting you is really hard.
I have realised it doesn’t re­ally make a difference. You call someone to verify a story and they tell you it is false or its true and you go print it anyway, you put both stories out and people start to play that guessing games. I don’t see the essence. You have a story, you think it would sell, print it, let people handle their business.

Do you have issues with the Nigerian media?
No, I don’t have issues with the Nigerian media.
----------------------------------
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------